Guardians of Palmer Park (GoPP) began meeting in January 2009. Friends and neighbors inspired by their love for the park and concerned about the effects budget cuts founded GoPP. After several successful projects, we decided to set up a nonprofit corporation to support our activities.
The organization’s mission is to help maintain Palmer Park’s unique beauty, recreational opportunities and spirit for the enjoyment of future generations.
We encourage you to join us.
The Mission of Guardians of Palmer Park, Inc, is
- to enhance, protect, defend and maintain the physical integrity, natural beauty and physical resources of Palmer Park in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- to raise and spend money for upkeep, maintenance, and protection of park land and facilities, and the native flora and fauna.
- to encourage responsible use of the park by hikers, bicyclists, dog-walkers (with and without leash), kite-fliers, frisbee-throwers, playground-users, picnickers, sports participants, and persons involved in any other non-motorized recreational use that does not negatively impact park resources.
- to assist the City of Colorado Springs to maintain the park in all ways that do not conflict with the other elements of GoPP’s mission statement.
Our Work projects
- Trail maintenance days – scheduled periodically throughout the warmer months
- Inventory and repair of picnic tables
- Staffing information tables at bike and foot races in park
- Exotic weed removal
- Graffiti removal
- Litter and trash removal, with a strong emphasis on dog cleanup
- Attending meetings
- Helping with website
- Serving as a liaison to other local outdoor groups
- Membership recruitment
- Attending Parks board meetings
- Newsletter writing and distribution
- Collecting park history, etc.